5 Dos and Don’ts to Follow After a Car Accident
According to experienced local personal injury attorneys, there are a few things that you should do after a car accident. Likewise, there are also a few things you should not do. Knowing what to do after a car accident can help to save you a lot of grief.
If you have never been involved in a car accident, you may believe that as long as your insured, you will be okay. The fact is there are steps that you need to take to make sure everything turns out right.
What You Should Do After A Car Accident
There are five things you should do after a car accident that your car accident injury attorney would advise you to do. Each step is a vital step in protecting your rights. Be sure to keep these tips in mind if you’ve been involved in an accident.
- If you are injured, make sure you either get in the ambulance or go to the nearest urgent care.
- If you are not seriously injured and are able to move away from your car, wait on the side of the road away from traffic. Call the police.
- Make sure you file a police report. Do not accept offers from the other driver to just exchange information and be on your way. It is vital that you have a police report.
- If there are witnesses to the accident who want to leave before the police arrive, get their names and phone numbers. This can be very important down the line.
- As soon as you can, call an experienced personal injury attorney Tampa FL drivers can rely on.
Following the above steps will ensure that you have the documentation that you need for insurance companies involved. If you need to file a claim with help from your local personal injury attorney, you’ll have the information you need.
Things You Should Not Do After an Accident
Now that you know what to do, you’ll also want to avoid doing the following things if you’re in a collision.
- Do not leave the scene of the accident. It is always best to remain on the scene unless you have to get in the ambulance. Never drive away from the scene of an accident.
- Do not give false statements at the scene of an accident. It is always best to tell the truth — though you should never apologize for an accident, even if it’s your fault.
- Do not speak to an insurance adjuster before you speak to a local personal injury attorney. What you say can be used to deny your claim.
- Do not fight or argue with the other driver. Wait for the police to come and let them manage the situation.
- Do not try to deal with the insurance company on your own. Have the experienced personal injury attorney Tampa FL car accident victims trust on your side to communicate with insurance adjusters.
Get the support of a local personal injury attorney after a car accident to reduce the stress of dealing with the insurance company and to ensure that you get the best possible outcome. They are the experts in personal injury law that you need on your side.